"And by the way, everything in life is writable about if you have the outgoing guts to do it, and the imagination to improvise. The worst enemy to creativity is self-doubt."
--Sylvia Plath

Friday, February 5, 2010

what is human ecology?

Here’s the short answer: it’s about us. Humans. What we need to be physically and emotionally healthy. How we care for our children, our older people, our families. How we design our living and working spaces. How we feed and clothe ourselves. How we gather and celebrate. How we keep our bodies healthy and strong. Basically, anything that helps people lead better lives is human ecology. --K-state College of Human Ecology


When I first came to the University of Texas at Austin at eighteen, I wasn't exactly sure what I wanted to do with the rest of my life, or who I was for that matter. After drying my crying eyes with boxes of tissues, and swapping 'pre-med' with 'Natural Sciences- undeclared', it was clear to me that I had some growing and soul searching to do. For the next few years, that's what i did-- in true Jess style-- as a vagabond wandering through various majors from all disciplines. From Biology to Art History and Japanese to Fashion design, I tried them all. I wouldn't recommend this 'degree plan' to future college students, it was certainly confusing and stressful not having a plan mapped out; but at the same time, how can you know what you like (or don't) unless you try everything at least once? And so, that's what I did. I chose classes that interested me. Sometimes my choices were a bust, but more often I found myself captivated and interested in what I was learning about. Four years later, it turns out that all the Human Development and Family Sciences, Nutritional Sciences, and Textiles and Apparel courses I took fit under the Human Ecology Degree, and I couldn't be any happier (and relieved) to be graduating this upcoming May. It's human ecology, the study of people and life, and it found me.

1 comment:

  1. Don't let graduation fool you. You'll end up being wildly happy and successful, but the more you think you have it figured out, the more life laughs at you...and the more you GROW!

    Love you darling..and your blog!

    ReplyDelete

Followers